How do I look after my %99.999 Gold Collection?
How to Look After Gold Bullion Coins.
Pure Gold does not react or tarnish like other metals, it is one of the easiest metals to look after.Gold Bullion Coins are the coins manufactured from pure Gold. The better they are stored and handled, it is more likely to keep the value of the bullion coin. The damaged coins or those with stray marks, contact marks, rim blemishes, evidence of cleaning, worn out features, etc. can depreciate the value of the coin drastically.
Apart from being minted in low numbers, another reason of the increase in their value is because of their historical value. Gold Bullion Coins of countries like the United States of America, especially American Gold Eagle need proper storage and very careful handling. Proper storage is very important for securing these coins and maintaining their value.
Containers made of materials like PVC and other substances decompose when subjected to various agents like heat, light, etc. And release various reactive substances, which destroy and damage the metal of the coins and devaluate the coins worth.
Most of your gold bullion purchases will already be sealed in a safe plastic holder. Do not remove from the case; this is the best protection you can have for your Gold. Gold that has been left in the original package will get you the best resale price.
To keep your collection interesting, buy some silver counterparts as they are much cheaper and easier to care for when handling. Gold is a very soft metal and it gets damaged very easily. The easy malleability of gold asks for better handling for purer coins.
However, every gold bullion coin needs to be handled properly irrespective of the purity as it has huge worth. Let us discuss some of the basic rules to preserve the gold coins and save it from scratches and stray marks to maintain its worth:
- The coins should be handled by the edges instead of holding their faces. Avoid touching the coins with dirty or soiled hands.
- Before handling the coins, ensure that your hands are washed properly with a sanitizer before handling the coins. Dirt and oil can cause the decay of the coin and degradation of the metal. Clean and sanitized hands are free from oils and dirt.
- Before handling the gold bullion coin lay a soft cloth on the table. A drop or an accident may easily cause dents on the coin surface which can be prevented if the coin lands on soft towel or cloth thus preserving the value of the coin.
- Breathing on the coin surface or using the saliva to clean the coin surface is really a very bad practice. Pure gold is prone to damage by the microbes and germs and these microbes can cause serious effect on the bullion coins.
- Handling of the coin should be prevented if not necessary. The best method to preserve the gold coin is to keep it away in its case instead of exposing it to the atmosphere every now and then.
- Store the coins in a cool and dark place. Heat and moisture can cause corrosion on the coin surface devaluing it permanently.
Lower value coins are stored generally in coin albums and flip books which are mostly air-tight. Higher value coins are stored in specially constructed cases with provisions to prevent air and moisture from entering inside the case keeping the coin away from the direct reach of atmospheric air and moisture.
Atmospheric air and moisture can discolor the coin when exposed for longer periods devaluing its worth. Using an airtight hard plastic translucent case for storing the gold bullion coins is the best method as it prevents the agents of destruction from entering the case and damaging the coins.
Cases manufactured specially for storing the coins made by companies like Numismatic Guarantee Company (NGC) and Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) are highly in demand owing to the amount of research and study related to the safe keep of precious coins.
However, keeping the coins clean and lustrous increases the value of the coin and if it is very old and still sparkling like a new one, the coin gains such a value that it can surpass the value of many such coins.